In Aviation AME stands for Aircraft Maintenance Engineering. Aircraft Maintenance Engineers are the engineers who troubleshoot the issue which is faced by an aircraft on the ground level. And to become an aircraft engineer firstly an aspirant pursue aviation courses.
AME Course is a licensed-based program that is related to the aircraft and its components. AME Course contains the 2-year academic knowledge and after that, you should also get the 2-year live training from the MRO. They deal with maintenance, repair, and troubleshooting the issue occurring in an aircraft on the ground.
Every aircraft needs the approval of the Aircraft Maintenance Engineer for take-off. He is also responsible for the safety and security of the aircraft. AME is responsible for keeping the aircraft in airworthy condition. This allows dealing with the well-being and protection of aircraft and its passengers.
AME course is categorized into 2 streams:-
Category A of Aircraft Maintenance Engineering (AME) License Course
Category A is the license for the engineer who can maintain, repair, and troubleshoot the simple defect of an aircraft, this license holder is known as a technician. Students will have to undergo 1-year academic training and the 1-year will be training involved with the live environment in Airlines, MRO Organizations.
This category is sub-categorized into:-
- Category A1:- This license holder solves simple defects in airplanes with jet engines.
- Category A2:- This license holder rectifies and repairs the simple defect in an airplane with a piston engine.
- Category A3:- This license holder to maintain, repair, and solve the simple defect in a helicopter with a jet engine.
- Category A4:- This license holder to maintain, repair, and solve the simple defect in a helicopter with a piston engine.
Category B of Aircraft Maintenance Engineering (AME) License Course
The category B license is broadly divided into two disciplines is Mechanical and Avionics. There are various levels within the license that allow the holder to be authorized to perform certain roles within line maintenance.
The category B of the Aircraft Maintenance Engineering license are:
- Category B1:- Maintenance Certifying Technician (Mechanical)
- Category B2:- Maintenance Certifying Technician (Avionics)
Category B1 of Aircraft Maintenance Engineering (AME) License
B1 is the license for mechanical streams in aircraft. The mechanical stream is related to the components such as Fuselage, Landing Gear, and Wings, etc. The duration of the Aircraft Maintenance Engineering (AME) Course is of 2-years academic program and 2-years of practical training.
This category is sub-categorized into:-
- Category B1.1:- License B1.1 certifies the airplanes with Jet Engine.
- Category B1.2:- License B1.2 certifies the airplanes with Piston Engine.
- Category B1.3:- License B1.3 certifies the helicopters with Jet Engine.
- Category B1.4:- License B1.4 certifies the helicopters with Piston Engine.
Category B2 of Aircraft Maintenance Engineering License
B2 is the license for avionics streams in aircraft. The avionics stream is related to the electronics system. The duration of this category is 2-year academic sessions and another 2-year is for live training knowledge.
The institution of Aircraft Maintenance Engineering (AME) is approved by the government of India, Directorate General Of Civil Aviation (DGCA) that deals with the rules and regulations of civil aviation.
Eligibility Criteria of Aircraft Maintenance Engineering (AME)
The AME course is a very unique career prospect for students. If you also want to pursue your golden career in the aviation sector then you should follow some important criteria of the following:-
- A candidate who has passed the 10+2 examination or appearing with the Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics (PCM) stream from any recognized board.
- A candidate who has completed three years approved diploma in any of the streams is eligible for admission to the AME course.
- Candidate age must be between 16 to 28 years.
- The candidate does not have color blindness.
- The candidate does not have any physical disabilities.
Aircraft Maintenance Engineering Course Syllabus
AME license course syllabus in which a candidate has to undergo a 2-year academic program and 2 years training in a flying environment. In these 2 years academic program, the candidate is inculcated theoretical and practical knowledge of aircraft engineering, principles, and components. The syllabus depends upon the type of license one has opted for, as different stream holds a different set of concepts. There are 17 modules by DGCA which one has to clear to get the AME license. The candidate has to choose a stream, modules depend upon the stream of the candidate. Module 1 and 2 are not applicable in India.
Aircraft Maintenance Engineering Admission Procedure
AME Admission procedure needs to be followed to get admission in top AME colleges which is given below:-
- To join the AME course a candidate could fill the application form for Aircraft Maintenance Engineering Common Entrance Test (AME CET).
- After clearing that AME CET Exam, according to the All India Rank (AIR) of AME CET they will get admission in top AME institutes approved by DGCA, Govt of India.
Aircraft Maintenance Engineering Course fee Structure in India
Aircraft maintenance engineering course fees depend on the license one has opted for and also differ from college to college. The AME course fees is approx 3 to 6 Lakhs in some AME institution and AME course fees is generally high for NRI students. The fees depend on the AME institute which the candidate will choose in AME CET admission counselling. The candidate has to pay the fee semester-wise and various education loan facilities are offered by some banks so one can complete his/her education, earn and pay to the bank later. The candidate also gets a scholarship from the state government on one’s academic performance.
After completing this academic program candidate has to go to 2 years training program at that time candidate has to pay a particular fee to complete the flying hours in spite of that candidate also gets a stipend of approx 20k to 30K per month. Hostel fee is not included in this. According to the facility, the hostel fee will be applicable. It will be approximately INR 25,000- 40,000/- per semester.
Aircraft Maintenance Engineering Career Opportunities
India is growing in the aviation industry speedily which is great news for those who desire to make a career in aviation. Air traffic in India is growing year by year which lifts up the requirement for aircrafts. Due to this many companies such as Indigo, Air India, Jet Airways, etc. ordered new aircrafts which give boost to Aircraft Maintenance Engineering Course Career Opportunities.
The AME Career Opportunities are at the following places:-
- Airlines:- Airlines are company that provide air transport for the passenger’s to travel. Before an aircraft fly, a Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer has to analyse and solve the problems of aircrafts. After signing Flight Releasing Certificate (FRC) an aircraft can fly.
- Maintenance, Repair and Overhauls (MRO) industries:- MRO companies are those companies which specialize in performing maintenance actions on aircraft and their components such as jet engines, landing gears, etc. To maintain the actions licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer are required.
- Aircraft Manufacturing Companies:- Aircraft Manufacturing Companies deals in the manufacturing of aircrafts such as Boeing, Airbus, etc. For maintaining and operating engines, electronics system etc Aircraft Maintenance Engineer are hired.
- Aircraft Part Manufacturing Companies:- Aircraft are made up of numerous parts. To manufacture those parts Aircraft Part Manufacturing Companies have builds. Aircraft Maintenance Engineer can analyse those parts and help them to build better one.
- Aircraft Operation Organizations:- EASA, ICAO etc are the Aircraft Operation Organization. There organization deals with safety and security of civil aviation. When it’s about Safety in aircraft, Aircraft Maintenance Engineer is the first name that came out.
- Aviation Training Centres- There are Aircraft Maintenance Engineer who tells other candidate about the Aircraft Maintenance Engineering and its scope.
- Flying Clubs:- A flying club is an organization that provides its members with affordable access to aircraft. That aircraft need to be maintenance which is done by licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineers.
- Civil Defence Forces:- There are many aircrafts which defence use for various purposes to protect the country. Defense is also maintenance by licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer.
- And any place where an aircraft is used in Civil:- Wherever aircrafts are used they require to be maintained by authorised Aircraft Maintenance Engineer.
Salary of An Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
In AME course there will be practical training in the flying environment. When the candidate undergoes practical training there will stipend provided to them from 15K to 25K per month. After training of 2 years and clearing the modules the AME license will be issued to the candidates from DGCA, Govt of India. The salary package of the candidate will be high after achieving the AME License. According to the payscale, the average salary of an AME is INR 40 Lakhs per year. AME is the hottest career with responsibility of safety and security of Aircraft and its passengers. Not only salary even this job earns a lot of respect. The salary of AME is extraordinary in India as well in abroad.
There are the Aircraft Maintenance Engineering Course Details as per DGCA, Govt of India. As per career prospect, AME is the best career opportunity of those candidates who want to make their career in Indian aviation sector as AME.