Aeronautical Engineering is the study that involves researching, designing, developing, constructing, maintenance of the aircrafts and spacecrafts within Earth's atmosphere. It also covers the investigation into aerodynamic elements of aircraft, including behaviours and related factors such as control surfaces, lift, airfoil, and drag.
Aeronautical is one of the branch of aerospace engineering. Aerospace engineers are accountable for researching, designing and production of aircraft and spacecraft launching of satellite launch vehicle, defense missiles and satellites for different applications within and outside the atmosphere.
Aeronautical Engineering Course
Aeronautical Engineering course of 4 years, there are 8 semesters in which students will get theoretical and practical knowledge. It is one of the best undergraduate programs in the field of aviation and higher career opportunity. Aeronautical Engineering is one of the most dedicated branch of aerospace engineering that includes the atmosphere.
Students usually study topics like Aerospace Materials and Manufacturing Technology, Aircraft Structures, Thermodynamics, Fluid Dynamics and Mechanics, Flight Mechanics and Aerodynamics, Aircraft Design, Avionics Navigation and many more in aeronautical engineering.
Aeronautical Engineering Subjects
Aeronautical Engineering course duration includes 8 semesters, One semester out of the eight have practical training in the live environment and other semesters have academic sessions. In each academic session, there are approximately 6-7 subjects in each semester which a student has to qualify to attain the B. Tech (Aeronautical Engineering) Degree. The few core Aeronautical Engineering subjects are given below to provide the student with an idea of what they have to study after joining the course:-
- Materials sciences
- Structural Analysis
- Fluid Dynamics
- Automatic Control and Guidance
- Aircraft Performance and Aircraft Structures
Aeronautical Engineering Eligibility Criteria
An Aspiring candidate for the Aeronautical Engineering Course should fully satisfy the eligibility criteria. The eligibility criteria for aeronautical engineering can be found below:-
- The Minimum Eligibility Criteria for pursuing Bachelor’s in Aeronautical Engineering course must be passed or appearing class 12th with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics(PCM) or Physics, Chemistry and Biology (PCB).
- Engineering Diploma of 3 years in any stream.
- Students must have qualified their 12th & Diploma with more than or equivalent to 45% marks, with 5% relaxation to the reserved categories (SC/ST) in some colleges.
- To get admission to the top aeronautical engineering colleges of India, one could go for AME CET exam.
Entrance Exam for Aeronautical Engineering
- Admission to Aeronautical Engineering course can be through AME CET 2022 that offers admission in various courses in one of the leading institutes approved by AICTE, Government of India.
- Based on AME CET 2022 All India Rank (AIR), students can participate in counselling and confirm their admission in government approved Aeronautical engineering institutes and colleges.
- AME CET exam is of the objective pattern and is in Hindi & English medium both. The question paper consists of 90 questions and each question carries 4 marks.
Aeronautical Engineering Admission Process
Aeronautical Engineering course admission process comprises of few steps which are as follows:-
- Students must fulfill the Aeronautical Engineering qualification to take admission in Aeronautical Engineering Institutes.
- Fill the registration form of AME CET 2022 which is available on official www.amecet.in for admission in the Aeronautical Engineer course.
- After qualifying the AME CET 2022, students can take admission in the Aeronautical Engineering course based upon their AIR.
Aeronautical Engineering Course Fees
Aeronautical Engineering course fee structure depends upon the curriculum of the institutions. After clearing the AME CET exam, students can avail admission in one of the top institutes in India which are approved by AICTE. Admission will be offered to the students based on their All India Rank (AIR).
Aeronautical Engineer course fee structure varies from colleges to colleges. The fees can be paid to the institute semester wise. The exact Aeronautical Course fees details can be seen on the official website of the aeronautical engineering colleges. There are Education Loan facilities available for the students in many banks. The fees will be different for Indian and NRI students and can be relatively high for the NRI students.
Aeronautical Engineering Colleges
There are many Colleges/Universities that are offering Aeronautical Engineering courses. Admission to Aeronautical Engineering Universities/ Institutes can be through AME CET exam, the choice of the aeronautical engineering colleges will be given to the students based upon their All India Rank (AIR). One must select the colleges that are topmost colleges in terms of education along with those that are best in terms of placement, infrastructure.
All the Aeronautical Engineering colleges in which students get admission will be approved by AICTE, Govt. of India. To know more about the Aeronautical engineering colleges in India click here.
Aeronautical Engineering Scope
The Aeronautical Engineering scope in India is growing in the aviation sector and putting their step towards manufacturing business. It will raise the demand of Aeronautical Engineers. Aeronautical Engineering scope is in demand both in India as well as abroad. They are required in Airline Services as well as aircraft-manufacturing units in private and public sectors.
After completion of the course, the Aeronautical Engineers at the very initial level are hired as Junior Engineers or graduate engineer trainees and further on completion of the trainee period they are placed under assistant category. Based on their performance in the organizations, they are promoted to the suitable designation and sometimes they have to clear departmental exams for the further promotions.
After the completion of the course an aeronautical engineer can have ‘n’ no. of scope in the following fields:-
- Airlines: - Airlines company that provides air transport which helps passengers to travel. The role of the aeronautical engineer is that they use their technical knowledge to improve flight safety and fuel efficiency, reduce costs and address the environmental impact of air travel.
- Aircraft Manufacturing Companies: - As the Aeronautics fields are related to the manufacturing of the aircraft's, they play an important role in these organizations.
- Aircraft Part Manufacturing Companies: - This company builds the components of an aircraft to manufacture those components Aeronautical Engineers are appointed.
- Civil Defence Forces: - In defence, Aeronautical Engineering career can be in designing, manufacturing, and testing military weapons, aircraft, and missiles.
- Research Organizations:- Aeronautical Engineers build their career in research organizations such as ISRO, NASA, DRDO, etc.
- Maintenance, Repair and Overhauls (MRO) Industries: - They use their technicality to improve the specialized function performed in maintenance actions on aircraft and their components.
Aeronautical Engineering Job Opportunities
Aeronautical Engineers, as they specialize in designing, maintenance of aircraft and other aircraft related technologies for the better performance of the aviation sector. Job opportunities are in various aircraft manufacturing organizations that can be grabbed by the aeronautical engineers in the many organizations in India and Abroad as well.
Few top organizations that provide job opportunities to the aeronautical engineers are given below : -
- Civil Aviation Department
- Defense Industry
- Indian Space Research Organizations (ISRO)
- Aeronautical Development Establishment
- National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL)
- Air India
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)
Aeronautical Engineer Job Profile
Aeronautical Engineer job profile is not only in the aviation industry, but also in the Defense sector like Air Force. They can apply for the scientific and technological principles to research, construct, design, and test the performance of the civil and military weapons, aircraft, and missiles. Maintenance of these also comes under the Aeronautical Engineer job profile.
Aeronautical Engineer uses Computer Software like Computer-Aided Design (CAD) to develop the aircraft or related avionics. These branches also required specialization in Electronics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and similar fields.
The commonly offered Aeronautical Engineering job profiles are as follows:-
- Aircraft Engineers: - Aircraft Engineers are involved in the application of scientific and technological principles to research, development, and design of aircraft and their components.
- Thermal Design Engineer: -The job role of the thermal design systems and processes to convert generated energy from various thermal sources into chemical, mechanical or electrical energy.
- Aircraft Production Manager: - Aircraft Production Manager has to keep an eye on the production in terms of quality, pricing, market analysis.
- Aerospace Design Checker: -Aerospace Design Checker’s role is to check whether the design of an aircraft and its components.
Aeronautical Engineer’s Roles and Responsibilities
An Aeronautical Engineer has is responsible for many things and they play a vital role in the aviation sector. Aeronautical Engineer’s roles and responsibilities are mentioned below to provide an overview for the course: -
- Provide direction and coordination to the designing, manufacturing, and testing of an aircraft.
- Evaluate the proposal for a project if they are technically and financially feasible.
- Assess if the outcome of the project meets the goals that are defined earlier.
- Evaluate design to look that the products meet the engineering principles, environmental regulations, and customer requirements.
- Build the acceptance criteria for quality standard, design method, sustainment after delivery of project, and completion dates.
- Ensure that projects reach the quality standard as defined in the proposal.
- If there is any damage to the product, identify the sources of problems and possible solutions for that.
Aeronautical Engineer Salary
Aeronautical Engineer salary package will depend upon the academic excellence and skill set of the students. The skillset includes analytic skills, business skills, critical thinking skills, math skills, problem-solving skills, and writing skills. The average Aeronautical Engineering salary in this field ranges from INR 6 to 10 lakhs per annum as per the report on payscale. The salary depends on the academic excellence and skill set of the students.
Abroad salaries can even be more than in India for Aeronautical Engineers. The average Aeronautical Engineering salary internationally will be $ 82724 per annum according to the report at the pay scale.
The Increment or hike in salary depends upon the employer, current position, and one’s performance in an organization. The salary in the government and private sectors are good. Based on the student choice and skill they can choose the government and private sectors.
Higher Studies After Aeronautical Engineering
Aeronautical Engineering course imparts training to students in areas like manufacturing and development of aircrafts and missiles. After the completion of the course, An aeronautical engineering graduate can go for higher education, as to avail the new opportunities in the career.
After completing B.Tech/BE in Aeronautical engineering, one can go for M.Tech/ME, specialization in the following fields or can go for research:-
- Dynamics and Control
- Aerospace Propulsion
After pursuing higher qualifications in any of the above specializations, students can pursue the doctorate (Ph D) from any institution.